Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 14- Last day on the cruise!

April 7th-
I’ll apologize in advance for the extreme lack of photos and details of this day! This was a total blur, and so far in writing this report I have pictures and my little notes I jotted down during the day to go off of. I have nothing today!


So I think our day went something like this: Slept in, had breakfast, kids went to clubs, did some end of cruise shopping ( I did buy full size product of the mini tolietries they use at all the Disney resorts because I love them!) and went up to the cove café to relax. We ran into Sarah up there and we all talked for a bit. Sarah did get some pics of the ship while she wandered a bit.




 I think she also went to the rainforest room (unless she did that yesterday…not entirely sure). I remember taking Aidan out of the clubs to see if he wanted to get anything signed by the captain (no) and then him wanting to go back. I think we took the kids out of the clubs before lunch time? But I have no idea where we all ate for lunch. Lol. I know that Matt took a nap in the afternoon sometime and Sarah and I went to the adult pool area and hung out in the hot tub for an hour and then went and got Piper afterwards. We were supposed to go to the Princess and friends tea party but Piper had no interest so around lunch time we turned the tickets back in for the people on the waiting list.

I know that Matt and I started packing pretty early and just designated one carry on for everything we might need in Disneyland for the next couple days. We packed up all dressy stuff, super beachy wear and sandals, etc and added them to our wedding luggage.

During the day when our room was being cleaned, we got some papers left for tonight. We had gotten our
tip sheets the night before, and we also got our disembark papers, customs sheet and luggage tags (will go over this in a minute). Our tip coupons were a little tricky since we had 2 different sets of servers but we figured it out (we went to guest services though to make sure it was split up accordingly). After filling out the sheet they give you little tickets (that look like movie tickets) and you put them in their little envelopes to give to them the last night at dinner . You leave your stateroom host one during turndown the last night as well.

Also- here are pics from our cabins. The one of the bed is from my cabin and the rest are of Sarah and the kids’ cabin (3 doors down). We loved our cabins. I always stay midship deck 6 and find it’s the best when it comes to getting everywhere and not having to rely on the elevators.





Our last dinner was in Parrot Cay. Normally on a cruise I am so sad to be leaving but honestly I was kinda checked out at this point. I just kept thinking, I am SO done with this cruise but can’t wait for our next one when (knock on wood) everyone is healthy. Matt was feeling much better though and so I was hopeful for Disneyland the next couple of days.

For appetizers Matt and I both had the Potato Leek soup (very good) and Sarah had the Grilled Chicken Sate. I also got the spicy jalapeno and artichoke dip to share and once again we didn’t get enough things to dip it with. I know I could’ve asked for more but our servers (while ok) were frazzled often and not stellar.



For entrees both Matt and Sarah got the Beef Tenderloin (ok I think- maybe not the best if I remember?) and I had the Portabella Mousakka (SO good).



For dessert, Matt and I both had the apple cranberry pie (GOOD!) and Sarah had both the Baked Alaska and also the sweet temptations (good I think).




Here we are with our waiters (though not good pics). That is our assistant server Shane with Matt and Piper and then our server Agung with Matt and I.


After dinner it was finishing packing time! But first, here is our last towel animal with Easter eggs instead of the little chocolates we normally got! Oh yeah- tomorrow is Easter!



We were so busy for the next couple hours. I got the kids all packed (which took some time) while Sarah took P to the hot tub and Aidan was in the clubs. Then I went over to get myself completely packed (we had a lot of breakables, etc we had to pack carefully). Then I had to fill out all our custom forms and get all our paperwork/passports, etc organized for the morning.

Around 9:30 or so I headed up to the cruise onboard booking desk (last minute, I know! Normally I do this on day 1 and I really regret not doing this). I waited for FOREVER and there were only 2 families ahead of me. Once I got up there though it was easy- I just told him I wanted to book a a “dummy date” and he got it all set up. We got 2 cabins (for Matt , I and the kids) and was booked for a cheap Dec 2013 cruise. We planned on figuring out all the details when we got home as to when we wanted to cruise again. But by booking onboard it saved us 10% plus then $200 onboard credit for each room (assuming we stick with 7 night cruises).  Once we get home we can switch the date to the one we really want and our discounts are transferred.  Pretty easy!

While I was dealing with that, Matt was hanging out with the kids and getting them tucked into bed while Sarah was at Shutters picking up our printed nice photos that we had taken throughout the cruise.
Oh- to cover the disembark  (leaving the ship) issues.. So we had a couple options as to how we wanted to leave in the morning.
Option 1 (only if you have an early flight- and you have to prove you do)- meet at the designated place before 8 am and you will get priority walk off. We did this last year and it worked great. You get a special sheet in your room the night before explaining the process, but basically as soon as the ship clears you get to bypass the line and get out of there! We couldn't do this on this cruise since we weren't flying home in the morning.

Option 2 (normal process) – wait for your colored luggage tag to be called and then you get to leave the ship. We actually had different tags (even though our cabins were linked). Because we weren’t doing this we didn’t care. Most people choose this option and have breakfast when they are assigned as well. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to the tags being called. So you could be first at 8 am or you could be last (as late as 10:30).

Option 3: (express walk off) – this is what we did. You line up at the rope in the lobby (and if the line gets too long they ask you to wait in the Promenade lounge) and when the ship is cleared you leave. You do have to handle all your luggage though since it won’t be in the warehouse waiting for you (the whole point of the colored luggage tags). Pros are you get to leave asap, cons are you have to carry your own stuff.

So to wrap up the cruise portion- The cruise flew by and dragged at the same time. I was super excited to get back to Disneyland- mostly I think because we had such a great time there pre cruise and I was so hopeful that Matt would be all the way better. Plus DL has such a special place in my heart with the kids going back to their first trip.

Anyway, everything was good but not great- but that wasn’t anything to do with DCL itself. It just wasn’t a “magical” vacation for us like our first 2 cruises were. I think having come from Hawaii and having done some truly special things there, and then getting lucky enough to be in the villas at the Grand and having a great couple days at DL- the cruise was almost a let down not a highlight. Of course a lot of that was Matt being sick, but some of it was not having the kids in our room (we thought it would be nice, instead we missed them!), our so-so serving team, the super rocky boat, etc. Highlights were definitely the spa and the food! We will for sure sail with them again, but not on a Mexican Riviera cruise (twice in a 13 month span is enough). Our next cruise will most likely be in 2014 (but more on future trips later!).

Up next- Easter in Disneyland!

No comments:

Post a Comment