Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 6 - a day at sea

Day 6- Day at sea.


This marks our 6th day of travel and I’m a little tired at the thought of a whole other week. Also- Piper’s luggage has been found by some random lost and found company that fed ex has. I have to call tomorrow when I get back in the states to figure it out.

So today started out my room service once again waking me up at 8am (I slept through my alarm again…) and I had just ordered coffee knowing that since it was a sea day, we didn’t need to rush through breakfast and could go somewhere on the ship to eat.

We laid around for about an hour or so- the kids watching one of the many movies on the free tv (no having to pay for premium movies) and I dozed for a bit more. We went up to the buffet instead of one of the restaurants and took our food outside and the kids watched Pinocchio on the outdoor movie screen.

 It was SO hot today already and I just wanted to come inside where it was cool. My plan was to get an iced coffee at the adult coffee bar and read a book after I dropped the kids off at the kids clubs…

So I dropped Aidan off at his, and then realized I didn’t have my book so on my way to take Piper, I stopped off at my room. I asked her to hold the door while I grabbed the book and I heard the door slam, and by the time I looked in the hall she was gone. Now out of all the rooms- we were closest to the central staircase. We rarely took the elevators because it was so easy to take the stairs. It took about 15 minutes for me to find Piper- and that was only because I got a page on my pager system telling me that P was in the kids club and wanted me to come get her. When I got there it turns out she had ran up a few flights (when the clubs are one flight down) and a cast member had found her crying and took her to the club (knowing that if I had my pager on me they could get a hold of me). Honestly- I wasn’t so scared for me as I was for her. I knew she would panic and get upset. But I also knew she had no where really to go.

So my plans for some “grown up time” were shot because I couldn’t stick her in the club now, so we decided to go get ice cream and hang out together for a bit.

We wandered the shops, and checked out the arcade a bit. Then got Aidan before lunch. Neither kids was really that hungry so we decided to catch the 1:00 matinee of the final Broadway scale show called Disney Dreams. Once again- the talent, the costumes, tech aspects, etc were mind blowing. We got done around 2 and hung our in our room for about a half an hour on the deck before I dropped them off in Aidan’s club together because they were making volcanoes.

I had a 3 o’clock wine tasting- which was SO great. There were about 10 of us in our group and our sommelier was from Portugal (all the cast members on the ship are from all over the world. You can tell from their accents and the fact that it states it on their tag) and he grew up on a winery. He majored in wine from a college in his country and he was obviously educated. I learned a lot about wine and we tasted 6 glasses- all of which were full glasses. And he not only encouraged but pretty much demanded we drink everything on the table. I think 1 or 2 couldn’t do it but the rest of us after the “tasting and learning” part pretty much downed everything in front of us. I am very surprised I made it back up 3 flights of stairs without swaying. Lol.

I went and got the kids who didn’t want to leave because Stitch was there (characters come to play all the time with the kids in the clubs) so I left them for a bit and finally got that cup of coffee I needed. I got them in time for dinner and we said goodbye to our amazing wait staff. Not only did they learn all about the kids and what they liked, but somehow all over the ship once a staff member knew your name they didn’t forget. The service level is something I have never experienced in my life.

Our cruise was way too short- it was great to get a taste of what its like, but I would take this over the Disney parks any day. Far more character interaction- they are wandering around all the time for the kids. The clubs are amazing for the kids as well. And there is SO much to do for adults. The daily navigator looks like a tv guide- and there is something going on every hour of the day for everyone.


 After dinner we came back to the room so I could pack- all our luggage needed to be outside the door between 9 and 11. So I wanted to get it done prior to 8 so the kids and I could go watch a movie or something. It didn’t take too long- and I got my customs paperwork done at the same time. We headed up to watch The Incredibles on the outdoor movie screen. Piper sat and watched a guy at the pizza place make pizza while we were there- which made her day. Again- so much one on one attention, and you can honestly tell that everyone here enjoys their jobs.


At 10 the good bye gathering was happening in the lobby so we wandered around for that. I mostly have it on video (as well as the sail away party, and the fireworks) so I need to upload those soon. The kids got really sad about having to leave…and P started crying. Totally broke my heart. A cast member came up and asked if she was ok and needed anything but then Belle came over to  give her a hug, which was sweet.


We came back to the stateroom and ordered a late night snack from room service and the kids took baths and headed to bed while watching How To Train Your Dragon (for the millionth time).

We dock in Florida at 6am tomorrow and head out anywhere from 8 to 10. I am aiming for early so we can head right to Animal Kingdom park after checking in to the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment